Top of Blog 1

Upgrades coming to Plymouth-Canton’s Pioneer Middle School

 Upgrades coming to Plymouth-Canton’s Pioneer Middle School

Plymouth-Canton Community Schools Pioneer Middle School was opened in 1969.

As it nears its 54th birthday, Pioneer Middle School is about to get some learning-enhancing love courtesy of the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools’ successful $275 million 2020 bond.

Opened in 1969, Pioneer is on the brink of a $5 million-plus upgrade — the results of which will be subtle in some cases (a new walk-in freezer for the kitchen, LED light-fixture upgrades), with other improvements more substantial (a new front-entrance drop-off loop and addition of a new, more-secure front office).

The school’s renovation projects will be discussed in detail by representatives from McCarthy & Smith, Inc. Construction Services and TMP Architecture during the Jan. 24 board of education meeting.

Unique layout

Unlike traditional school building architecture, Pioneer’s front section (facing Ann Arbor Road) is laid out in an octagonal format with the library resting in the center.

Pioneer Middle School showcase

Once the renovation is completed, the main office will be situated in the center of the northern entrance to the building, enhancing safety for the facility.

Work on Pioneer will also include learning commons and classroom upgrades, technology enhancements, locker room upgrades, a roof replacement and traffic-flow improvements.

Groundbreaking for the addition project is scheduled for June 19 with completion of the addition slated for May of 2024. Renovation projects not related to the addition are scheduled to be completed by Aug. 25, 2023.

Results of 2020 bond

On March 10, 2020, voters in the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools’ communities passed a $275 million bond, which is addressing facility and site improvements, equity of facilities, enhancing safety and security throughout the school district, furniture and playground upgrades, school bus purchases and imminent infrastructure and technology needs at most facilities.

Pioneer is one of five middle schools in the district, the others being East, West, Discovery and Liberty.

Pioneer placed in the top 10% of all schools in Michigan for overall test scores (math proficiency was top 10%, and reading proficiency top 20%) for the 2018-19 school year, according to PublicSchoolReview.com. Its student population fluctuates between 800 and 900 students.

Digiqole Ad
after post 1

Ed Wright

Related post

Leave a Reply